Monday, July 29, 2013

Get Going.

Live. Love. Eat. Drink. Be Happy. Be Sad. Succeed. Fail. Fall. Get up. Get going.

This is something I wrote for myself a little while ago, when I was in a black mood (I have a lot of those). It didn't cheer me up completely, but it did something important. It made me think. We are conditioned (especially in India) that failure is something really bad, and once you fail, that’s it. You’re a failure now. Period.

So most of us are scared of failing, and the fear is not of getting hurt in the process, but of what everyone will say if we do. “What will everyone say?” manages to silence a lot of so-called rebellions here. We’re supposed to have moved beyond that. But behind the shining and incredible façade, social mores still hold their sway over a significant portion of the country’s population.

Very few people can actually go against the grain except in the big cities. But there are people who are not paranoid about failing. We’re all afraid to fall, of not being able to achieve what we set out to accomplish. But a few are willing to be perceived as failures if their ventures don’t go as planned. And they have the tenacity to keep trying their damned best.

I am going to try my best to do what I wrote at the beginning of this post. I'm going to pick myself up, dust myself off and have another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment