Sunday, July 28, 2013

Keep Calm and Write



I've been thinking for more than three hours about what to write today. Half-formed ideas flit around at the edge of my consciousness. Very tantalising, and I'm sure they’re all having fun, but I'm not. Will one of you ideas come here right now and take shape?

---------------

It’s half an hour later. Those ideas seem to have gone off, formed a union, and started a strike of sorts. I feel a writer’s block coming on. This is just what I wanted to address when I started this project. I wanted to sit down, focus, and write. Sitting down, check. Focus, trying. Writing, well yes, if this counts.

You know what, I won’t give up on this. I set out to write every day. And I will. Even if it means writing about how I can’t seem to put anything down in writing. Maybe it’s because I didn't go out in two days. Maybe because I've been thinking too much of things there’s no point thinking about. But there are so many things to write about irrespective of that.

Maybe that’s why. There are a lot of things I want to write about. That’s why no single idea is coming into focus right now. Until today, I've been pretty clear about what I want to write about that particular day. It’s only today that I actually thought, “Hey, what am I going to write about today?”

All right, now that I know the problem, I'm going to make a list of things I want to write about, and focus on one of them at a time, instead of vaguely wondering about what to write.

And look! I did write today. I did accomplish something. And I learnt something too. Not bad for a listless grumpy binge-eating kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment